Monday, February 22, 2010

Mr Chips wrote via Art Fraternity

If you notice youth culture fashions, you will see that, despite the
extreme sexual promiscuity of song lyrics, some books, and computer
games, the clothes boys now wear go to great lengths to hide and
conceal, long and baggy, with shorts that go down to the ankles.
It's as if there was some kind of a tacit fear for a boy to show
himself off.

I am old enough (61) to remember when I was a kid, shorter and tighter
were what was wanted, and most boys tried to get away with exposing as
much flesh as possible.

By the same token, back then, the emphasis was on girls to dress
appropriately and more or less modestly. Today the tables are turned,
and boys dress like nuns and girls like mini pop tarts.

When I have been in the mall or my local Wal-Marts, I often see girls
in small groups acting very brazenly. I seldom see boys out together
any more. When I see them, I see them in ones and twos usually with
an adult. Again, when I was a kid,it was us boys who hung around in
small groups in public.

I am almost certain that there is a positive correlation between the
rise of militant feminism and the decline of genuine fraternity both
among boys and men. Where it comes in, how it comes in and how it is
quantified I have my theories, but no facts.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone else who has noticed these
phenomena, and what they believe the reasons to be. I think these
things are exactly the manifestations of the malaise our host is
talking about.

Mr. Chips

[minor corrections made]

No comments:

Post a Comment